Many seniors are turning to retirement communities to enjoy their golden years, leaving the stresses of home ownership in the dust as they bask in the stress-free convenience of a retirement community. These communities offer notable perks for residents, from numerous social activities to maintenance-free spaces.
Scranton has proven itself as an alluring pick for retirees, boasting an affordable cost of living, a comfortable ambiance, and a welcoming community. Considering transitioning to a retirement community in Scranton? If you’re looking to sell your current home, I’m here to help. Reach out today.
Benefits of Choosing Scranton, PA for Retirement
Between its peaceful environment and affordable living costs, Scranton is an excellent place to retire. It’s a tranquil place to call home, nestled in a convenient location close enough to larger cities but quiet enough for peaceful serenity.
It boasts affordable living costs far lower than those of nearby cities yet offers a similarly cozy, suburban feel. It’s known for its excellent healthcare facilities, making it a popular choice among retirees. It even earned a place among the best cities for retirees!
Scranton is surrounded by natural beauty and enveloped in a close-knit community with ample activities to fill your days, including refreshing walks, museum tours that immerse you in history, and quaint coffee shops to sip a cup of java while catching up on the news.
If you enjoy the bustling activity of a busy city every now and again, take a trip to sprawling nearby cities. New York City and Philadelphia are mere hours away, offering opportunities for lively, world-class entertainment and cultural events.
All of these factors make Scranton, PA, a top choice for seniors looking to enjoy their golden years in a safe, comfortable, and welcoming community.
Types of Retirement Communities in Scranton
Scranton offers multiple retirement communities for its residents, each tailored to different needs. Its independent living communities provide a perfect blend of retirement living without the stresses of owning and maintaining a home.
The assisted living communities offer a comfortable place to stay while offering help with daily living activities. These communities vary based on your needs, as some offer aid with basic activities, while others provide skilled nursing services.
Memory care communities offer a soft landing place for those with Alzheimer’s or other forms of progressive-degenerative dementia. These facilities offer long-term care designed to help those living with these conditions with daily life through specialized care.
Continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs) offer a blend of care levels, from independent living to assisted or memory care. These communities help seniors gracefully navigate their golden years through varying levels of care that adapt to their needs.
Scranton’s retirement communities offer a vast array of amenities to keep residents comfortable and content. Common amenities in these communities include:
- Fitness centers
- Dining centers
- Transportation services
- Daily activities
- Outdoor lounge areas
In addition to the basics, several of Scranton’s retirement communities offer physical therapy solutions, beauty salons and barbershops, libraries, movie theaters, and areas of worship for daily mass. The amenities vary based on the community you choose, but the options are impressive.
Thinking of experiencing these amenities firsthand? If you’re planning to sell your house for a smooth transition, let’s chat.
When transitioning from home ownership to the effortless convenience of a retirement community, considering your financial situation is essential. On average, living in a Scranton retirement community costs approximately $2,650 per month, although these costs can vary based on the community you choose.
By switching, you can enjoy various financial benefits, as you won’t need to worry about Pennsylvania’s steep property taxes associated with home ownership, pricey home repairs, or everyday living costs for things like groceries, as many communities provide meals.
As you plan your transition into a retirement community, budgeting for your monthly costs can make things go smoother. Here are a few tips to help you switch without a hitch:
- Review your income sources: Consider your income flow from Social Security, investments, and pensions. Total the monthly amount as a baseline for your budgeting calculations.
- Determine your monthly expenses: Write down each expense, such as rent, healthcare, and transportation. This, alongside your income amount, will help you budget for your expenses.
- Consider amenities: The amenities available might eliminate certain parts of your monthly budget. For example, if your community provides meals and snacks, you can eliminate your grocery bill.
- Pay attention to one-time fees: Sometimes, retirement communities charge one-time fees when you initially move in. If the community you’re moving into charges one-time fees, remember to budget for them.
- Create a plan: Once you iron out the details, craft a budget plan that reflects your needs. Remember to revisit your budget routinely to make necessary adjustments.
Social and Recreational Activities
Moving into a retirement community doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your favorite social and recreational activities. Many Scranton retirement communities offer an array of activities to keep you entertained and social, from socials and luncheons to shopping sprees and fitness activities.
Making the Transition Smooth
Moving from a house into a retirement community can be a scary step, but as you iron out the details, you’ll find these communities can be an excellent alternative to home ownership in your later years.
As you begin the transition, remember that it’s okay to feel the emotions of moving, especially after living in your home for many years. The future is bright and full of opportunities to meet new people and make friends while leaving the intricacies and stresses of home ownership behind you.
Transitioning can be a complex process, but I’m here to make it simpler for you. If you need to sell your home, get in touch for expert guidance.
Highlighting Top Retirement Communities in Scranton
If you’re ready to move into a Scranton retirement community, the following picks are excellent considerations:
- Clarks Summit Senior Living: Situated in nearby Clarks Summit, this retirement community caters to your golden years, offering everything from a library and movie theater to a bar and cocktail lounge.
- Marywood Heights: This highly-rated retirement community is conveniently located and offers an impressive array of amenities, including monthly socials and luncheons, daily mass, and in-house dentistry, ophthalmology, and podiatry care.
- Glenmaura Living: This glamorous retirement community is family-owned and operated and offers multiple levels of care to accommodate your needs. It supplies remarkable amenities, including a fitness room, activity room, chapel, post office, theater, hair salon, billiards lounge, outdoor courtyard, and much more.
Scranton can be the perfect place to enjoy the peaceful leisure of retirement, whether you prefer the flexibility of independent living or the tailored services of higher levels of care. As you search for the perfect retirement community, remember to consider your unique needs and seek expert advice to ease the transition and make an informed choice.
If you’re ready to sell your home and move into the comfortable convenience of a retirement community, I’m here to help! Don’t hesitate to reach out to learn more!